Red Security
Tutorial Creating a discord bot with discord.js - Printable Version

+- Red Security (https://redsecurity.info/cc)
+-- Forum: Programming (https://redsecurity.info/cc/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Javascript (https://redsecurity.info/cc/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Tutorial Creating a discord bot with discord.js (/showthread.php?tid=79)

Creating a discord bot with discord.js - Exception - 06-28-2017

Introduction

Discord.js is a node.j mod ule that allows your code to interact with the Discord API. In this tutorial, i'll teach you how to create a very simple bot using this module. To get started, you need to install somethings:
  • Node.js: u can download it in here;
  • Discord.js: after get node.js, open the command prompt and type: npm install discord.js --save

Creating an Discord App

To interact with discord, your code must be associated with a Discord App. To create one, go to this link, after that, click on New App.
[Image: IuV0k2O.png]

You'll be redirected to a screen where you can define your bot's name, description and image. When you're done, click on Create App.

[Image: qj9NlGM.png]

Configuring the Bot User

Well, now you already have your app, but you still need to configure one more thing. If u want that your app be treated as a discord bot, u need to create a "User Bot" by clicking in Create a Bot User.

[Image: image.png]

Now, click in "Yes, do it!"

Getting a token

To make the code that we'll write, connect through the application that we created, we will need a token. The token is basically a code that every User Bot has, and can use it to connect to discord. To generate a token for your bot, click on "click to reveal".

Write your token in somewhere, and don't it to anyone! If someone has the token, it can control your bot. So it's very important that you keep it safe.

Inviting a bot to a server

Now that you have your token, u need to invite your bot to a server. We can make it using the Client ID:
First, get your Client ID

Now, put it in place of YOUR_ID_HERE in discordapp.com/oauth2/authorize?&client_id=YOUR_ID_HERE&scope=bot and enter the URL you got. You'll be taken to a screen where  you can select a server to place your bot.

Programming the bot

Finally! It's time to code. First, create a folder and inside of it, an file named bot.js. Do not write anything yet! Now create another file, caled start.bat and inside of it, put this code:

Code:
color a
echo off
cls
echo Loading bot...
node bot.js
PAUSE

Now let's go to the bot.js file. Start the code with the following lines:

Code:
const Discord = require('discord.js');
const client = new Discord.Client();

This are some configurating variables. Let's move on:

Code:

client.on('ready', () => {
 console.log('I am ready!');
});

Let me explain a little bit:

Code:

});

Is an event. It'll be triggered when the bot get ready to connect.

Code:

It's a method that send something in the console.

So when the bot's get ready to connect, it'll say: "I am ready!" in the console.

Code:

});

client.login('token');

Now i add the login method! It's used to login in discord, by using a token. The bot is already working. But let's add a command to make it better!

Code:

});

client.on('message', message => {
 if (message.content === 'ping') {
   message.reply('pong');
 }
});

client.login('token');

Do you know what this code will do? The event will be triggered when someone send a message. If this message is ping, the bot will send "pong". Pretty cool, huh?

Final

Txh for be here with me during this tutorial. I hope that u use what i show here for all your life. Knowledge is one of the few things that people can't take from u, so use it, enjoy it, share it!

RE: Creating a discord bot with discord.js - Mr.Kurd - 06-28-2017

Thanks bro, very nice tutorial.