Discord Server Red Security Twitter Donation to Red Security Red Security Youtube Channel Red Security Tumblr Profile
Login or Register to Hide ads and Accessing all features on the forum

Diabetes: A Brief Summary

1 Replies, 2425 Views

This week, as a suggestion from our administrator Mr.Turk, I will be writing an article about diabetes, treatments, and my experience with it as a friend of someone who has diabetes and as a Sports Medicine Aide.  I apologize for my long absence, I have been busy with personal matters and am trying to get back into the swing of things.

Diabetes mellitus, normally just called diabetes, has two main types: Type One, also known as Juvenile Onset Diabetes, and Type Two, Adult Onset Diabetes.  They have different symptoms and different ways to treat them.  Type One Diabetes is a chronic condition where pancreatic cells are unable to produce insulin, and therefore the body does not follow homeostasis (the tendency of organisms to auto-regulate and maintain their internal environment in a stable state, a clean bill of health in layman’s terms) because glucose cannot be digested properly.  Symptoms include increased thirst, frequent urination, otherwise unexplainable nocturnal urenesis, or bedwetting, in children and adolescents who did not have problems with it before, extreme hunger, unintended weight loss, irritability and other mood changes, fatigue and weakness, and blurred vision [The Mayo Clinic].  Oftentimes people with Type 1 Diabetes have their life expectancy lowered by about twenty years, though improvements in health technology have seen patients live up into their eighties [diabetes.co.uk].  Type 2 Diabetes is adult onset and is a chronic condition that changes how the body utilizes glucose.  The actual cause is unknown, but contributing factors are high glucose intake over a long span of time (eating too many high sugar foods), being overweight, and inactivity (hacking and tweeting do not count as activity, go to the gym or take a walk or something).  Symptoms are similar to Type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes is a terminal disease and is not curable.  According to the World Health Organization, in 2015 approximately 1.6 million people died from diabetes and complications involving diabetes.  Though diabetes cannot be cured, there are many treatments to ease the burden on patients and their families.  Of course, synthetic insulin is the primary treatment for diabetes, either because the body does not produce enough, as in Type 1 diabetes, or the body needs more, as in Type 2 diabetes.  This can be delivered via injections or an insulin pump, which is when a machine pumps insulin through a tube connected to a cannula (a plastic needle inserted in the skin).  The pump delivers insulin when it deems necessary, and though shots will still be necessary at times, an insulin pump lowers the number of times it must be done.  Persons with both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes may be eligible for an insulin pump.  Other treatments include diet and prescriptions.

My first moving experience with diabetes was when I was wrestling with my friend.  I was attempting a takedown when I realized there was something on his belt but waved it off.  I then pulled him into closed guard (a Jiu-Jitsu move) and he slipped into a guillotine.  When I was done, I realized that the machine on his belt was a pump for insulin.  I’ve also dealt with a now sophomore football player with diabetes.  Our preparation for this is keeping sugary foods in the medical kits and I believe insulin, I have not checked on these kits since December, so I cannot clearly remember.  Luckily, nothing has happened with my friend or the football player, but during games I must keep a watchful eye on him, because if he blacks out and suddenly gets tackled or falls and hurts himself, we have to be able to quickly react to get him out of harm’s way and get sugar or insulin into his system.

I’m sorry to end my article so bluntly, but there isn’t much else I want to say.  Diabetes sucks, and that’s simply the way it is.  I hope my article helped you and I will leave a picture of an insulin pump below for those of you who were wondering what it was but still can’t decide on a VPN to use (apologies for the lame attempt at humor).  Please comment with your suggestions for my next article, and have a good week everyone.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am Legend
We are Legion
We do not Forgive
We do not Forget
Expect Us
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2018, 11:32 PM by Legend. Edit Reason: Added in spaces between paragraphs. )
very detailed thread bro, as far as I know another way of treating had been found which is by giving special food for about 3-6 months.
Rs
* Thankful to Allah *
Kurdy